Obviously a reuben is the ultimate fermented sandwich. Everything in it is fermented. The sauerkraut, rye bread, cheese… whether you use the traditional corn beef or the vegetarian alternative tempeh… it’s all fermented!
It’s also seriously delicious.
- Rye bread
- Sauerkraut (drained)
- Swiss cheese
- Thinly sliced corn beef (or thinly sliced tempeh for a vegetarian alternative)
- Russian Dressing
- Lay out two pieces of bread for each sandwich on a cookie sheet and toast under the broiler until just starting to brown.
- Spread each slice of bread thinly with the Russian dressing.
- Cover the bottom slice of bread with a layer of corn beef or tempeh, followed by sauerkraut and swiss cheese.
- Place the second slice of bread on top of the cheese, then butter the top of the sandwich.
- Broil on low until cheese is melted and the bread is well toasted.
There are lots of different recipes for Russian dressing. Here’s the recipe I used based on what I had in my fridge at the time.
Mix together: 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 tbsp catsup, 1 tsp Dijon mustard and 1/2 tsp finely chopped onion.