Homemade herbal elixirs are sweetened herbal infusions that are mixed with sparkling water or fermented beverages for the delicious taste of summer. French sorrel, mint, rosemary, calendula, borrage, lavender… the possibilities are only limited by what is in your garden or at the farmers’ market!
Herbal elixirs for fizzy beverages
Herbal elixirs are great for mixing into all sorts of different types of beverages. Here’s a few ways to use your herbal elixirs:
- Mix with your soda stream or store-bought sparkling water. Start with a 1:4 ratio, and adjust to your personal preference.
- Elixir are perfect for a 2nd ferment of Water Kefir, Kombucha or Ginger Bug.
- Trendy cocktails
- 1 Quart jar packed with your herb of choice (sorrel, mint, borage)
- 3½ cups water
- 1¼ cups of sugar (see note for alternatives)
- Pack your jar with at least 2 cups of herbs (or more if you have it).
- Cover with boiling water and allow to steep for 20 minutes
- Strain and mix in sugar. Stir until the sugar if completely dissolved.
-Pre-mixed elixirs will last up to 2 months in the fridge. If you want to preserve the flavours of summer for winter beverages, freeze them in an ice cube tray, or small containers. Allow to defrost completely before mixing.
-Sugar or honey will both act as a preservative in this recipe. However, feel free to replace the sugar with alternatives like xylitol or stevia. Just use the elixirs within 2 weeks or freeze them.