I love kvass. I love savoury and flavourful concoctions. I love that kvass makes me feel super healthy without wasting my money on a whole bunch of fancy expensive health food products. And this kvass makes me feel like I’m transforming myself into a super hero with the added vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
And while I admit that kvass probably wouldn’t help me fly or leap over tall buildings… I know it gives my immune system a huge boost. Toss in a few a few high in zinc pumpkin seeds and we’re prepared for the cold and flu season.
- 1-2 beets washed, and diced into cubes
- 1 inch of ginger washed and sliced in half
- 1 inch of turmeric washed and sliced in half
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- ¼ cup of starter culture (see notes)
- ½ tbsp salt (non-iodized)
- Filtered water to cover (chlorine free)
- Sterilize a quart-sized jar, and fill it with the beet cubes, ginger and turmeric. Squeeze lemon wedges into the jar and then add them as well.
- Dissolve the salt in ½ cup of water, pour over the beets with the starter, and add more water to cover.
- Use a weight to keep the beets submerged, top with a lid, and allow to ferment somewhere cool for 3-7 days.
- Store in the fridge and consume within 1 month.
-I used whey as my starter, but you could also use sauerkraut juice or a purchased starter.
-If you can’t find fresh turmeric, just add a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
-I enjoy my kvass diluted with water (50/50).