Pre-stuffed baked potatoes is an easy and fancy side dish that is ideal for cooking for a crowd. I particularly love the feta in this recipe because it adds the perfect blend of delicious saltiness to my potatoes.
A Sheet-Pan Dinner
I do an everything-on-one-sheet-pan meal at least once a week. I often even set my oven to turn on before I get home so that I don’t have to rush! One-pan dinners are my favourite, and these potatoes often make the centerpiece of the meal. I roasted my potatoes along side of some seasonal vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, beets and squash are our favourites), and veggie burgers for a complete one-pan meal!
Cooking for a Crowd
I wrote this recipe for a single potato, mainly because I didn’t want to dictate how many potatoes you should make. This recipe works whether you’re doing 4 potatoes or 50 potatoes. It is perfect for a dinner party because the potatoes can be stuffed in advance, and forgotten in the back of the oven for an hour while you sit around drinking cocktails.
When you finally do pull the potatoes from the oven you’ll have a beautiful and delicious side dish to serve. Could a dish be more party-perfect?
- Large russet (floury) potatoes (one for each person)
- For each potato
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic (see notes for herbs that you can use)
- 2 tbsp feta
- 1 thin slice of onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the garlic and other herbs into the olive oil.
- Wash the potato, then cut a series of slices into the potato about 5mm apart. Be careful not to cut through to the bottom of the potato so that the slices hold together.
- Stuff a few pieces of onion into each of the potato slices, fanning them open.
- Brush the cut side of the potato with olive oil, being sure to spread around the garlic and herbs, then sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Depending on how firm your feta is you can stuff it into the slots, or crumble on top.
- Bake at 375 F (190 C) for 60 + minutes (until the potato is tender).
-Use any fresh or dried herbs that appeal to you. I love using oregano, basil or rosemary.
-Feta is a really simple cheese to make at home, so I usually use DIY feta. You could also use any non-melting cheese, like kefir cheese or Romano.