Do you want a healthy, sugar-free, mid-afternoon snack? Are you looking for something to serve beside a bowl of soup for dinner? These buttermilk cheese muffins are just what you have been looking for! They super cheesy and delicious.
Even better, this muffin works with all sorts of flour combinations. Make it gluten free, wholewheat, or use white bread flour for a bread-like muffin. Regardless of what flour you use, this recipe makes a deliciously chewy and cheesy bun-like muffin that is perfect for a picnic.
This buttermilk cheese muffin is delicious whether or not you pre-ferment your flour. However, I am always all about the fermentation, so I recommend pre-mixing the flour with your buttermilk to make the grains easier to digest.
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk (see notes for options)
- Remaining Ingredients
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups grated cheese (stronger cheeses will add more flavour)
- 2 tbsp diced spring onion or chives
- Additional flavours (see notes for ideas)
- Pre-fermentation is not required. However, to preferment the flour, mix it with the buttermilk and leave it on the counter for 4-24 hours.
- After the fermentation, mix in the remaining ingredients (except cheese). If you are using a gluten containing culture it will be very glutinous so you may need to cut the ingredients into the dough. It is important to make sure that everything is fully mixed. Stir in the cheese and any additional flavours at the end.
- Bake at 400F (210 C) for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and browning on the top.
-Pre-fermenting flour improves the digestibility of this muffin and gives it a nice tangy flavour, but it’s not necessary for the rising action.
-This recipe works best with either whole wheat or a gluten free flour. You can use either a gluten free flour mix or just rice or oat flour.
-Though this recipe calls for buttermilk, you could use milk kefir, sour cream or yogurt.
-If you want to mix in some additional flavours, I recommend: 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 cup cooked corn kernels, or 1/4 cup crispy bacon bits