It’s hard to add kefir into your diet, especially if you aren’t into drinking fizzy sour milk. However, this ice cream is as creamy, delicious and sweet as any you would buy in a store!
All you need is an ice cream maker (we love our Cuisinart but it doesn’t matter what you use). This recipe involves kefir cultured whipping cream and milk. However, it would work fine with just regular milk and cream, it just wouldn’t have the je ne sais quoi that kefir provides.
This is not a recipe for frozen yogurt, so you can’t just substitute yogurt and expect the same beautiful creaminess.
- ¾ cups of kefir cultured milk
- 1½ cups of kefir cultured whipping cream
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups of soft fruit coarsely chopped (berries or peaches)
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined. Add the fruit last, and just blend until the fruit is the desired sized (depending on if you want chunks or not).
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker.
- Freeze finished product for at least 3 hours before serving.
-Honey keeps this ice cream soft and easy to serve. It also slows down freezer burn. However, you could use 2/3 cup of sugar instead.
I store our finished ice cream in old plastic yogurt tubs, or in straight sided mason jars (as seen here). It would also be cute to make individual cups in little jam jars.