Desserts are fun! Ice cream is fun! And orange banana ice cream is really fun! It uses the natural sweetness of bananas for a sugar-free treat that is healthy and delicious.
A Probiotic Treat
It’s so easy to culture milk and whipping cream, that I pretty much only use pre-cultured dairy. This recipe is perfect for a dose of probiotics. The tartness of cultured dairy is balanced by the orange zest, and freezing won’t harm the probiotic culture. The easiest way to culture whipping cream is with a room temperature culture. Simply add the culture to your whipping cream, and leave it for 6-24 hours, depending on how sour you want it.
Here are a few room temperature (mesophilic) dairy cultures:
- 3 bananas
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until completely smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so the ingredients are cold.
- Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
-I encourage you to make your ice cream probiotic!
-This recipe is for a 1.4L ice cream machine. I recommend buying something like this ice cream maker. I’ve had it for years and absolutely love it.
-I usually pack my ice cream into a large yogurt tub or a few small mason jars for individual-sized ice cream cups. They are convenient and pretty.