This healthy apple cake is rich, moist and delicious. Top it with a date glaze and serve next to a cup of tea for elevenses. Or turn it into a healthy dessert by serving it with ice cream or cream cheese frosting.
Healthy Apple Cake
A cross between a cake and a muffin, this wholesome snack is naturally sweetened and and full of the flavour of apples, cinnamon and nuts. Frosted with a caramel date glaze, and it turns into a healthy dessert.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6" cake 1x
- Category: Cake
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour (or other wholegrain flour)
- 1 cup liquid (milk or non-dairy alternative)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup ground dates (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- If using gluten free flour, I recommend soaking and fermenting the flour ahead of time to improve the flavour and texture of the cake. To pre-ferment the flour, use 1 cup of cultured liquid (like almond milk yogurt, amazake, buttermilk or milk kefir). Mix it with the flour in a glass bowl and leave it somewhere warm to ferment for 12-24 hours.
- When ready to bake, add in the oil, vanilla, ground dates baking soda, salt and all of the spices. Mix well, then stir in the apples and nuts.
- Pour the cake into a 6″ non-stick cake pan (or a cake pan lined with parchment paper).
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 min (until a skewer comes out clean).
- For a sweeter cake use apple sauce as the liquid or replace the date sugar with brown sugar.
- I like light buckwheat flour (affiliate link) in this cake. However, it can be made with any wholegrain flour: rice, oat, barley or rye. If you use wholewheat flour, then skip the preferment because it will develop a gluten structure.
- This cake is designed for a 6″ springform cake pan (affiliate link), however, if you want to double the recipe and make a 9″ cake, then bake for at least 1 hour. To make muffins reduce the baking time to 20 minutes.
Keywords: vegan, sugar free, refined sugar free, egg free, dairy free,healthy, fall, winter, thanksgiving, apple, coffee cake