This healthy apple cake is rich, moist and delicious. It is also gluten free, sugar free and vegan. I like it topped with a simple caramel-glaze, and served next to a cup of tea for my elevenses. You can also turn it into a healthy dessert by serving it with whipping cream, ice cream or cream cheese frosting.Print
This coffee cake is made with buttermilk soaked wholegrain flour, apples and nuts for a moist and delicious snack. You can make it gluten free and sugar free.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6" cake 1x
- Category: Cake
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour (or other wholegrain flour)
- 1 cup buttermilk (see notes for a vegan alternatives)
The next day
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup ground dates (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Mix the flour and buttermilk in a glass container, and place it somewhere warm to ferment for 12-24 hours.
- Add the oil, vanilla, sugar baking soda, salt and all of the spices to the batter. Mix well. Then stir in the apples and nuts.
- Either use a 6″ non-stick cake pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 min (until a skewer comes out clean).
- This recipe can be made with any type of soured dairy or dairy alternative. Just avoid thick yogurts, as you need the liquid for the cake. It’s ideal for whey and kefir. For a dairy-free cake use almond milk yogurt or soy yogurt.
- I like light buckwheat flour for this cake. However, it would work with oat, barleyor rye flour. If you use wholewheat flour, then skip the preferment because it will develop a gluten structure.
-This cake is designed for a 6″ springform cake pan, however, if you want to double the recipe and make a 9″ cake, then bake for at least 1 hour. You can also make muffins, just reduce the baking time to 20 minutes.
Keywords: vegan, sugar free, healthy, fall, winter, thanksgiving