Cultured cashew frosting is delicious and dairy-free. Culturing the cashew cream like cashew yogurt gives it the tangy flavour of cream cheese frosting. It’s also probiotic and full of protein. Definitely a winner!
- 1 cup of raw cashew
- Water to soak
- Sweetener (see notes for suggestions)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cover the cashews in water and soak for 2 hours.
- Grind the cashews in a blender using as little water as possible so that you have a thick cashew cream.
- If you want to culture the cashews at this point, follow my recipe for making cultured cashew yogurt. The link is in the notes below.
- Mix in the sweetener and vanilla, and make sure it is well blended.
- Store in the refrigerator and use within a week.
- Yogurt: To get that tangy flavour follow my instructions for culturing cashew yogurt.
- Sweetener: Frosting always works best when you mix it with icing sugar. To make a stiff frosting use up to 3 cups of vegan icing sugar. Otherwise, mix a 1/4 cup of maple syrup or honey for a softer frosting.
- Blender: I only have an ordinary blender so my cashews don’t get super smooth. I secretly covet a Blendtec or a Vitamix, which would make a super smooth cashew frosting. Using a better blender would also allow you to use less liquid while blending for a firmer frosting without added sugar.