Making homemade cheese is one of those things that feels complicated, but is actually a whole lot easier than you expect. I like to think of it this way: if a medieval farmer could make cheese in a very unsophisticated kitchen… then we can too!
Cheesemaking 101 – Basic Information
Cheesemaking is a HUGE topic. Here is everything you need to know broken down into a few bite-sized pieces.
- Equipment: A summary of the equipment needed for making cheese, including easy DIY options.
- Ingredients: Learn about the different types of milk and cultures that go into making delicious cheese.
- Sterilization and Sanitation: It is important to keep everything sterile to make delicious cheese.
- Inoculating Milk: How to culture the milk and set the curd with rennet.
- Preparing the Curd: Everything you need to know about cut the curd and cook it. Along with advice around what to do if the curd hasn’t set properly.
Making Cheese – Recipes and more
Cheese making is definitely a process, but you’ve learned a few basic steps you’ll be on your way to making all sorts of wonderful cheeses. Here are some recipes and ideas for when you are ready to start on your own cheesemaking adventure.
- Fresh Cheeses are perfect for beginners, since they don’t require quite the same amount of precision as hard cheese. Here’s everything you need to know about making fresh cheese at home.
- Aging Hard Cheese is a complex process. This post describes how to make waxed, bandaged and washed rind cheeses.
- Cheese Recipes for anyone ready to make cheese at home.
- The Wonderful World of Whey gives you suggestions on how to use up all that leftover whey from your cheesemaking.
I hope you’re feeling inspired!