I LOVE spanakopita. Unfortunately, I have a gluten allergy, so I never get to order it in a restaurant. This easy spanakopita recipe uses lasagna noodles in place of the traditional filo, which means it’s much easier to make and can be gluten free!
Best of all spanakopita is the perfect way to feature homemade, fresh feta cheese. If you haven’t made cheese before, but are interested in trying it out, then I recommend feta. It’s easy to do, tastes great, and is so much more affordable than buying it!
- 1 box of lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp olive Oil
- 2 lbs cleaned fresh spinach or 2 packages of frozen spinach
- 6 spring onions
- 1 medium red onion
- ¾ cup fresh dill
- ¾ lbs feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of mozzarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-cook the lasagne noodles, then rinse with cool water and drizzle with olive oil to prevent them from sticking together.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach and saute until the leaves have wilted and the liquid has cooked off, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, mix spinach with dill, feta and eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. The amount you need will depend on the saltiness of the feta.
- Cover the bottom of your lasagna pan with a drizzle of olive oil, then a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread out all the filling in an even layer before topping it with a second layer of lasagna noodles. Finish off with the grated mozzarella.
- Bake at 350F for 30-45 min.
- Cool to room temperature before eating to allow the flavours to come through.
- Flat lasagna noodles are best in this recipe. Use a gluten-free variety for a gf spanakopita.
- Easy spanakopita is a perfect addition to a Greek feast. Serve it with a salad, flatbread, cultured hummus and tzatziki!