Halloumi is a delicious and salty fresh cheese that can be fried or grilled. This salad is a great way to feature fried halloumi cheese. It is delicious served fresh and hot, or chilled as a marinated salad.
- 2 bunches of broccoli
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- A sprig of thyme
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup of walnuts (toasted)
- A block of halloumi cheese (about 250g)
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil + more for frying
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Boil the lentils with the bay leaf and thyme until just cooked (about 20 minutes). You want them to be cooked, but still a bit firm.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Add the broccoli to the lentils for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- When the broccoli and lentils are done, drain and rinse with cold water to stop them from over cooking.
- Make the salad dressing by mixing the olive oil, cider vinegar and mustard in a large salad bowl.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Toss the lentils, broccoli and tomatoes in the salad dressing. Salt and pepper to taste. (I use ½ tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of black pepper.)
- Pour 2 tbsp olive oil into a medium-sized, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Chop the halloumi into small cubes and fry until golden.
- Scatter the halloumi and walnuts over the salad and serve immediately.
-This salad is delicious as leftovers. Allow everything to marinate in the salad dressing and serve chilled.
-Feel free to replace the halloumi with crumbled feta.
-Thanks to Jamie Oliver for the original inspiration for this salad.
DIY Fermentation Inspiration
I love making halloumi! It is an easy cheese for beginners because it is relatively simple and doesn’t require any complicated tools. Best of all, it’s ready within just a few weeks.