Are you looking for a diet to improve your overall health and wellness? Then why not try Fermenting For Foodies’ simple microbiome diet? It’s easy to follow and is designed to promote good health by feeding the flora in your digestive system.
A Diet For Everyone
I have a theory about why there are so many different diets and cleanses out there… it’s because there are so many different types of people! What works for me might not necessarily work for you. Some people feel healthiest on a heart-smart diet, and some people are healthier on a low-carb diet. Ultimately, most diets and cleanses have the same basic goals:
- Leave you feeling healthier
- Help you maintain a healthy weight
- Give you the energy required to have a productive day
- Assist with long-term health problems
This simple microbiome diet doesn’t have to replace your current diet. Whether you are paleo or vegan, the simple microbiome diet is a way of making sure that you are feeding the flora in your digestive system so that you can have good digestion, immunity and wellness.
Why Feed Your Microbiome?
Well… this is a very large topic…. however, I will start out with defining a microbiome.
A Microbiome is the millions of bacteria, fungus, viruses, etc that live in our bodies. Our bodies are a micro “tiny” biome “home”. Our microbiome covers all the surfaces of our body: our skin, lungs, digestive system… In fact, human cells make up less than half of the cells in our bodies.
There are literally Thousands of Reasons why you should care about your microbiome. However, here are my top five reasons why you should take care of your microbiome:
- It is your first line of defense against infections, and supports healthy immune system functioning.
- It helps you digest your food properly by helping you break down foods and absorb vitamins.
- Our microbiome protects our skin from sun damage.
- Our mood, stress levels and quality of sleep are all affected by the health of our microbiome.
- What you like to eat is actually affected by the makeup of your microbiome.
A Simple Microbiome Diet
This simple microbiome diet is designed to be something that you could easily follow every day for the rest of your life. It is meant to be one of the building blocks to having a complete and healthy diet. There are only 4 steps to this simple microbiome diet:
- Eat something probiotic every day. There are a ton of recipes on Fermenting For Foodies for how to make fermented foods and meals that feature probiotic foods. However, I realize this isn’t always easy, so here’s an article on easy probiotic options.
- Feed your microbiome. A healthy microbiome needs a diet of fiber and resistant starches. So feed your microbiome whole grains, nuts, beans and lentils, fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid sugars: If you have a sweet tooth, it’s probably because you have some sugar-loving yeasts and bacteria living in your microbiome. Try to limit or avoid all types of sweeteners, except maybe stevia. Even low-glycemic sweeteners will feed your sugar-loving flora. So no sugar, honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, xylitol. Even fruit juice is low in fiber high on sugar, so grab a piece of fresh fruit instead.
- You might also want to consider whether your drinking water might be affecting your microbiome.
My family has been on a microbiome diet since 2015, and it has really helped improve the health of everyone in my family. –I will admit that cutting sugar was HARD. Usually I bake without any sugar at all, but sometimes I add a bit of date sugar.–
And check out The Microbiome Diet Book if you’re looking for a larger dietary overhaul.
Share your struggles and successes in the comment section below!