Cashew and miso cheese is a fermented cream-cheese-like spread that is perfect for sandwiches, appetizers and dips. It is vegan, gluten free, paleo and delicious! Best of all you can flavour it any way you want: herbs, sun dried tomatoes or garlic.
Cashews are ideal for dairy-free, probiotic snacks. My kids love creamy cashew yogurt and cashew miso cheese is a protein-packed, healthy snack.Print
Cashew and miso cheese is a dairy-free cheese spread that can be flavoured with garlic, herbs or sun-dried tomatoes. See the bottom of the post for six different ways to flavour this creamy cashew spread.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 cups of raw cashew
- Water to cover (chlorine free)
- 2 tbsp miso
- Flavours (see below)
- Cover the cashews in water and soak for 24 hours.
- Drain the water and blend the cashews into a smooth paste. If you need to add water to help with blending, that’s fine, you will end up with a slightly softer cheese.
- Stir in the miso, and pack the cashew cheese into a glass container. Leave on the counter to ferment for 12-48 hours.
- After fermenting, mix in the additional flavours. You may need to add salt depending on the saltiness of your miso.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- The miso needs to be alive in order to ferment the cashews. Live miso will be in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. You can also find it online or make it yourself.
- I used an ordinary blender so my cashews weren’t super smooth. If you had a Blendtec or a Vitamix then you would have super smooth cheese.
- It’s easiest to store cashew and miso cheese in glass container as a spreading cheese. However, you can also make cheese logs by rolling the cashew spread into a log-like shape and wrapping it with wax paper or plastic wrap.
- If you want to turn the cheese into a dip, then just add in more water during the blending.
Keywords: keto, paleo, gluten free, cream cheese, dairy free, probiotic
The best part of a cream cheese spread is the flavours! Here’s a few of my favourites:
- Herb Blend: 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp dried oregano, salt to taste.
- Sun-dried Tomato: 1/2 cup finely diced sundried tomatoes.
- Olive: 1 clove finely minced garlic, 1/4 cup diced Kalamata olives.
- Roasted Garlic: 1 whole head of roasted garlic pureed into the cheese, add salt to taste.
- French Onion: This vintage flavour is a real favourite with my kids. Add 1 package of reduced salt onion soup mix (about 3 tbsp.)