Date sweetened cashew frosting is a delicious and dairy-free cream cheese style frosting. It is a healthy sugar free treat that is full of protein. The frosting can be made thick enough to frost cupcakes or use it as a thin glaze for a coffee cake.
Cashew frosting can be made without culturing the cashews ahead of time. However, to give the frosting that distinct and tangy flavour of cream cheese, start by making a batch of thick cashew yogurt.
Here’s a few reasons to consider using cultured cashews:
- The tangy flavour of cream cheese is perfect for carrot cake or sourdough cinnamon buns.
- Cultured cashews are full of probiotic goodness, turning this frosting recipe into a naturally sweetened yogurt or dip.
- Cultured cashew cream cheese frosting makes a great after-school snack. Serve it with sliced apples or as a bagel spread.
Date Sweetened Cashew Frosting
Use cultured cashew yogurt to make a healthy and probiotic frosting alternative. It’s also delicious as a dip for apples or spread on bagels. Date sweetened cashew frosting is a protein rich treat that your kids will love!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 cup of raw cashew
- 2 cups water for soaking the cashews
- 16 large medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of water for frosting, as needed.
- Cover the cashews in water and soak for 2 hours.
- Grind the cashews in a blender using as little water as possible so that you have a thick cashew cream.
- If you want to culture the cashews at this point, follow my recipe for making cultured cashew yogurt. Otherwise, continue with the frosting.
- Add the dates and vanilla extract to the blender, and continue to grind. Add as much water as needed to ensure that you end up with a smooth consistency. Keep it thick for a frosting, or add more water to make a glaze.
- Store in the refrigerator and use within a week.
- I only have an ordinary blender so my cashews aren’t super smooth. I secretly covet a Blendtec or a Vitamix (affiliate links,) which would make a super smooth cashew frosting. Using a better blender would also allow you to use less liquid while blending for a firmer frosting.
- If you want a stiff frosting, or if you like your frosting a bit sweeter, then add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of vegan icing sugar.
Keywords: gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, healthy, glaze, icing, holiday, birthday, spread, dip