If you’re anything like me… then you know the value of a good old-fashioned homemade gift. Homemade fermented gifts are a unique and delicious way to share your love of fermentation with all your foodie friends.
Most ferments can last outside of the fridge long enough to be unwrapped and enjoyed. Just be sure to stick a note in your card if it’s a ferment that should be kept in the fridge.
Here are 25 delicious fermented foods that make excellent gifts.
Seriously… who doesn’t love fermented and pickled vegetables? Best of all, fermented vegetables are incredibly easy to make and don’t need to be refrigerated.
Why not include a hand-written recipe along with the fido jar? That way it becomes a gift that keeps on giving!
Really, there are so many different recipes for fermented veg. But in case you’re stuck for ideas, here are three popular ones:
Treats and parties just go together. A plate of homemade cupcakes or a homemade pie is always appreciated.
Here are a few unique treats that are either probiotic or involve fermentation!
- This sourdough cinnamon roll recipe is vegan-friendly
- Probiotic truffles are so melt-in-your-mouth amazing.
- Caramel date sauce is a fruit-sweetened and probiotic indulgence.
- Buttermilk-soaked churro muffins are delicious and gluten-free.
I love fermented condiments. They last for a really long time in the fridge and are so versatile. Perfect for adding flavor to all sorts of meals.
Here are a few condiments that make perfect gifts
Homemade Soda Pop
A flip-top bottle of homemade pop will definitely make your friends and family smile. Just be sure to keep these bottles in the refrigerator because a bubbly explosion is not the right kind of surprise.
A bottle of your favorite brew is a perfect gift. But if you don’t make kombucha or water kefir, then here are three options that don’t need a starter.
If you’re into homebrewing, then why not make some seasonal bottles to share?
Cheese is always appreciated. Why not impress everyone by making your own cheese!
Here are a few simple cheese recipes you can make without any special equipment or supplies.
- Overnight cultured cream cheese
- Overnight cultured goat cheese
- Boursin-inspired kefir cheese
- Marinated yogurt cheese
A rustic loaf of sourdough bread is beautiful and delicious.
Here are three recipes that are a bit fancier than your usual sandwich loaf:
- Pain de campagne is a rustic loaf of French bread
- This Tuscan-style focaccia is party perfect.
- Barmbrack is an Irish mixed fruit and cinnamon bread. It makes amazing toast.