Officially, kimchi is meant to be eaten fresh and turns “sour” after about 3 weeks. However, sour kimchi is still delicious! This quick and easy kimchi soup is a great way to use up a jar of sour kimchi.
This kimchi soup is designed as a vegan and gluten free recipe. So I make it with vegetarian kimchi for the adults, and with kid-friendly kimchi for my kids! However, feel free to use a traditional kimchi, then the soup will end up with a beautiful bright red colour (from the shrimp and gochugaru).Print
Easy Kimchi Soup
This easy soup uses kimchi as the main flavour, which means that it is very quick to make. Taking only 15 minutes to make, it is a healthy meal for a busy week night.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Korean
- 1/2 lbs of rice noodles
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 cups of water
- 1 package of firm tofu, diced into cubes
- 2 cups of kimchi including liquid
- Start by cooking the rice noodles according to the package, and prepare everything else while the noodles cook.
- Put the water, spring onions, soy sauce and tofu into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, the turn it off as soon as it simmers.
- Serve each bowl by starting with a base of noodles, then add a ladle of tofu and broth. Then finish each bowl with a large helping of kimchi.
- Kimchi is really easy to make at home, however, store-bought is good too.
- I serve this soup with the kimchi added on top for a probiotic boost. However, if you find the flavour of kimchi too strong, then add the kimchi to the broth and allow it to cook with the tofu. Cooking will help to mellow the ginger, garlic and onions.
Keywords: kimchi, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, egg free, healthy, probiotic, easy, quick, 5 ingredients, fall, spring, summer