I LOVE spanakopita. Unfortunately, I have a gluten allergy, so I never get to order it in a restaurant. This easy spanakopita recipe uses lasagna noodles in place of the traditional filo. It is so quick to make and can be made gluten free!
Best of all spanakopita is the perfect way to feature homemade, fresh feta cheese. If you haven’t made cheese before, but are interested in trying it out, then I recommend feta. It’s easy to do, tastes great, and is so much more affordable than buying it!
This easy spanakopita uses lasagna noodles instead of filo. It is a simple and delicious vegetarian meal that can be made gluten free.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Cuisine: Greek
- 1 box of lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp olive Oil
- 2 lbs cleaned fresh spinach or 2 packages of frozen spinach
- 6 spring onions
- 1 medium red onion
- 3/4 cup fresh dill
- 3/4 lbs feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-cook the lasagne noodles, then rinse with cool water and drizzle with olive oil to prevent them from sticking together. If using gluten free noodles, then often, simply soaking the noodles in warm water will soften them.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach and saute until the leaves have wilted and the liquid has cooked off, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- When the spinach is cool, mix in the dill, feta and eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. The amount needed will depend on the saltiness of the feta.
- Cover the bottom of your lasagna pan with a drizzle of olive oil, then a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread out all of the spinach filling in an even layer before topping it with a second layer of lasagna noodles. Finish off with the grated mozzarella.
- Bake at 350F for 30-45 min.
- Cool to room temperature before eating to allow the flavours to come through.
Keywords: easy, simple, gluten free, vegetarian, lasagna. Mediterranean, spring, fall, winter