A granola bar is a perfect snack. It’s easy to pack around, full of sustaining energy, and it is a blank palate for so many possibilities. Whether it’s flavoured with fruit and nuts or chocolate, the granola bar is a staple in our kitchen.
Naturally I like to preferment all of my grains. Not only does it keep my digestive system happy, but it also tastes great! In this recipe, the pre-fermentation also eliminates the need for flour as a binder as the lactic bacteria break down the rolled oats before cooking.Print
A granola bar is a perfect snack. It’s easy to pack around, full of sustaining energy, and it can be flavoured with fruit and nuts or chocolate!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 bars 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Fermented
- 2 1/2 cups of rolled oats (quick or regular)
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk (kefir, sour cream or yogurt)
- 1 cup chopped nuts and seeds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (see notes for options)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional: dried fruit, chocolate
- Mix rolled oats and buttermilk in a glass container (it will be quite dry). Allow to ferment somewhere warm for 4-12 hours.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 300 F (150 C) for 50-60 min, until firm and browning around the edges. It should be firm enough to throw into a school lunchbox. If it is too crumbly, then you will need to cook it longer.
- Slice and allow to cook before serving.
- I like to decorate with chocolate buttons, but I don’t add them until there is about 20 minutes left on the timer so that they don’t burn.
- Replace brown sugar with date sugar or 1/3 cup of honey.
Keywords: gluten free, wholegrain, breakfast, dessert, healthy, travel food, soaked