Traditional mincemeat always contained ground mince meat (it was accurately named!) It was meant to be served as part of a meal, bridging the savory dinner with the sweetness of dessert. These recipes state that mincemeat was ready to eat when the apples were sparkling, which suggests that fermentation was part of the aging process.
This mincemeat is entirely vegan and is made without any of the additional fats that are usually added to replace the meat. Comprised of dried fruit and nuts, it is a naturally sugar free treat.Print
Fermented mincemeat is a vegan treat that is made without any additional fats or sweetener. Perfect as a pie filling or served with cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 25 tarts 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: British
- 1/2 lbs chopped dates (1 cup)
- 5 oz currents (3/4 cup)
- 10 oz raisins (1 3/4 cup)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 oz chopped walnuts (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 lbs of apple (1–2 apples, grated with peel on)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 4 tbsp culture (see notes)
- 2 tbsp brandy (optional -for finishing)
- Mix all of the ingredients except for the culture and brandy in a large bowl.
- Stir in half the culture.
- Pack into jars for fermenting. Be sure to press the fruit down so that all the air is squeezed out.
- Top with the remaining culture to keep the mixture below the liquid.
- Ferment somewhere warm for 24 hours, then store in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before using.
- Stir in the brandy before serving (optional).
Keywords: Christmas, winter, holiday, tarts, pie, cookies, probiotic
Using Fermented Mincemeat
Fermented mincemeat is more than just a pie-filling, it a delicious probiotic treat that will help you stave off the cold dark winter. Here’s a few ways that you can enjoy your mincemeat.
- For a traditional mincemeat pie, fill tart shells and bake for 15-20 min at 400F.
- For a probiotic mincemeat, precook your tart shells and spoon the sparkling mincemeat in right before serving.
- Mincemeat is delicious with cheddar cheese, so serve it on a cheese platter on in a sandwich.
- Serve it on ice cream, waffles or as a topping for a warming bowl of oatmeal.