Homebrewing is a HUGE topic. Here is everything you need to know about how to brew beer at home without a kit. It is part of a series of easy-to-follow topics covering all aspects of homebrewing.
A few years ago, I talked a friend into teaching me how to brew beer. He came with a great pedigree… a Brit who grew up in Germany, the UK, and New Zealand.
He lived on a boat that was moored a few blocks from my house… and he was very keen to find a space to brew in. And I was glad to find someone to teach me everything I needed to know about how to brew beer at home.
At this point, I’ve been homebrewing for quite a few years, so if you have a question feel free to write in the comments below or on the Fermenting For Foodies Facebook page.
Here are all the topics about homebrewing on Fermenting For Foodies:
- Supplies: Wondering what you need to make beer at home? This list covers all of the necessary supplies. It includes some easy DIY substitutions.
- Ingredients: Beer is made of more than just barley, hops, and yeast. Learn about the difference between malted grain and malt extract. And find out the best way to add exotic flavors to your beer.
- Sanitation: It’s important to ALWAYS sanitize before brewing. Here’s how to make sure that all your equipment is clean.
- Step-By-Step Guide: There are 7 steps to turn grain into great tasting beer. This detailed breakdown will help lead you through your first batch of beer.
- Recipe for Oatmeal Stout: Ready to brew? This oatmeal stout is perfect for experimenting with flavors. Try adding coffee, chocolate, or spice.
Some fermentation topics are more popular than others… beer is a very popular topic.
This overview is meant to help the novice get started, but if you decide to become an aficionado, then I recommend checking out these websites:
American Homebrewers Association: A community of homebrewers who share recipes and talk about beer.
The Thirsty Writer: Joe is a friend of mine who spends his days writing about beer.