Looking to secretly get some probiotics into your friends and family? Want to show up at a party with a platter full of fermented foods? Then this homemade Boursin cheese is for you.
Homemade Boursin Cheese is amazingly delicious. Here are just a few of the reasons why I regularly make it at home.
- Affordable: Boursin is fancy, which means it’s also expensive. You can make a huge batch of homemade Boursin for a fraction of the cost.
- Delicious: My kids love it, my neighbours love it, my neighbours’ kids love it. It’s definitely one of my go-to party appetizers or after school snacks.
- Probiotic: I usually make homemade Boursin from my accidentally over-cultured milk kefir. However, it’s perfect for all types of homemade and probioitc soft cheese.
Homemade Boursin Cheese
It’s easy to make homemade Boursin cheese. It’s an affordable and delicious cheese that is perfect for parties, sandwiches and snacks.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups 1x
- Category: Cheese
- Cuisine: French
- 1 cup of soft cheese (see notes)
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 3 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of dried dill
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- Let the butter and soft cheese warm up to room temperature before mixing.
- Start by mixing the Parmesan cheese, dried herbs and garlic powder into the butter. Then add in the soft cheese and continue mixing until everything is well blended.
- Finely chop the parsley and chives, then stir them into the cheese mixture as well.
- Allow the cheese spread to rest for at least 2 hours to blend the flavours.
- Store homemade Boursin cheese in the refrigerator, and bring up to room temperature before serving.
- Most Boursin copycat recipes use store-bought blocks of cream cheese. This recipe is designed for softer cheeses like homemade cream cheese, pressed kefir cheese, yogurt cheese or soft goat cheese. If you want to use cream cheese, then use a tub of spreading cream cheese rather than a hard block.
- For the best flavour, use your boursin-style cheese within a week.
- Most garlic powder contains sulfites, which will affect the culture of your homemade cheese. I recommend using Simply Organic Garlic Powder (affiliate link) since it is sulfite-free.
Keywords: party, appetizer, spread, dip, posh, probiotic, copy-cat, affordable, holiday, kefir cheese, yogurt cheese, goat cheese, chevre