Homemade herbal elixirs are sweetened herbal infusions that are perfect for mixing with sparkling water or fermented beverages. It’s a delicious way to preserve the taste of summer.
What Type of Herbs?
Elixirs can be made with all sorts of herbs. The possibilities are only limited by what is in your garden or at the farmers’ market! Elixirs can be made with single herbs or combinations of several herbs. Here are a few examples (contains affiliate links):
How to Use Herbal Elixirs
Herbal elixirs are great for mixing into all sorts of different types of beverages. Here’s a few ways to use your herbal elixirs:
- Mix with soda stream or store-bought sparkling water. Start with a 1:4 ratio, and adjust to your personal preference.
- Elixir are perfect for a 2nd ferment of water kefir, kombucha or ginger bug. The sugar will provide the added boost needed to make really fizzy drinks.
- Use herbal elixirs to makeo trendy cocktails.
Herbal elixirs are perfect for mixing with sparkling water or kombucha for a delicious way to enjoy the flavours of summer. Use herbs from your garden or the Farmers’ market: french sorrel, mint, rosemary, calendula, lavender… the options are endless!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Beverages
- 1 Quart jar packed with fresh herbs3½ cups water
- 1¼ cups of sugar (see note for alternatives)
- Pack a quart jar with at least 2 cups of herbs (or more if you have it.)
- Cover with boiling water and allow to steep for 20 minutes
- Strain the liquid and mix in sugar.
- Stir until the sugar if completely dissolved.
- Store in the fridge.
- Pre-mixed elixirs will last up to 2 months in the fridge. If you want to preserve the flavours of summer for winter beverages, freeze the elixir in an ice cube tray, then store the infused ice cubes in a ziptop bag. Allow to defrost completely before mixing into beverages. They are too concentrated for a flavoured ice cube.
- Sugar and honey will both act as a preservative in this recipe. However, feel free to replace the sugar with alternatives like xylitol or stevia (affiliate links.) Just use the elixirs within 2 weeks or freeze them.
Keywords: flavor, sodastream, kombucha, water kefir, jun, herbs, preservation, tincture, summer, fall