Homemade sour cream is quick and easy. Made with a mesophilic culture, it is probiotic and as sour as you want. It’s perfect for tacos, pierogies, soups and crepes. Here are some of the reasons why I make sour cream:
- It’s probiotic!
- I get to decide how sour I want it.
- The flavour of cultured dairy is delicious.
- The price of cream is less than the price of sour cream, so it’s a cheap alternative.
- Homemade sour cream doesn’t waste a plastic container.
- It’s easy! Just mix in the culture and you’re done.
Traditional Sour cream
Traditional sour cream is made with cultured whipping cream. It is probiotic and delicious. Perfect for tacos, pierogies and more!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1/4 cup 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Fermented
- 1/4 cup of mesophilic cultured dairy (see section below for different types of culture)
- 1 cup whole cream
- Mix the culture and cream in a clean glass jar.
- Screw on the lid and leave it at room temperature (around 20 C, 68 F) for 12-24 hours.
- Once it has cultured, store in the fridge until use.
- To keep an active culture, re-culture every 2 weeks.
- You can find mesophilic dairy cultures in most grocery stores (eg. buttermilk). See the section below for more detailed information.
- The first time you make sour cream it may take a little longer to achieve a sour flavour. It will depend on the quality of your culture. However, once you’ve established your culture, it should be relatively quick.
- The cream will thicken as it cultures, but if you want a really thick sour cream, then strain it through a coffee filter (like Greek yogurt).
- Cultured sour cream can be used like buttermilk to make fermented baked goods. So if you want an extra rich red velvet cupcake then sour cream is the way to go!
Keywords: probiotic, traditional, keto, easy, 5 minute recipe
Mesophilic Sour Cream Culture
A good mesophilic (room temperature loving) culture is necessary for sour cream. The flavour of sour cream will be affected by your choice of culture, so if you want a traditional sour cream flavour, then you will need a traditional sour cream culture. Here are some different mesophilic cultures that will work for sour cream:
- You can buy sour cream culture online. It should be very vigorous and is a great way to kick start your homemade sour cream.
- Some store-bought sour creams are cultured. However, not all of them are, so you will need to read the label. Store-bought sour cream is generally not very vigorous, so give it the full 24 hours to culture.
- Cultured buttermilk is a great alternative as the flavour is similar to sour cream.
- Milk kefir can culture cream, but the yeast part of the culture will change the flavour and consistency of the sour cream to be more like… milk kefir.
- Mesophilic yogurts also have their own, unique flavour. So, they can culture whipping cream, but it won’t taste the same a typical sour cream.