Salads are a great way to get a dose of probiotics, and this probiotic coleslaw recipe is no exception. It’s made with garlic fermented honey and cider vinegar for a deliciously sweet and savoury side dish.
Simple and packed with flavour, this coleslaw is a great alternative to the typical mayonnaise salad. It is perfect for barbecues, picnics, or potlucks, because the flavour improves with time. Also, it’s fine being left out at room temperature for a few hours.
Honey Garlic Coleslaw
This quick and easy mayonnaise free salad is sure to be a favourite. Try it with garlic fermented honey for a probiotic and delicious variation.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 red pepper
- 2 carrots
- 4 spring onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp raw turmeric, finely grated (optional)
- Finely dice or grate the cabbage, pepper, carrots and spring onions.
- Mix up all the dressing ingredients and toss over the vegetables.
- Serve immediately for a crisp salad. For a softer marinated salad, let it sit out at room temperature for 1-2 hours prior to serving.
- The turmeric isn’t necessary. However, it does provide a beautiful yellow colour and is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory curcumin.
- To make a probiotic coleslaw, you need to include some fermented ingredients! I recommend garlic fermented honey, as the garlic infusion provides an extra flavour dimension. If you haven’t tried fermenting before, then try making garlic fermented honey. It is SO simple and absolutely delicious.
- Using naturally fermented cider vinegar will also give a probiotic boost. Either make your own, or buy vinegar with a mother. You can also use homemade fermented Dijon mustard.
Keywords: probiotic, honey garlic, mayonnaise free, healthy, gluten free, paleo
Probiotic coleslaw is an excellent side dish for all sorts of meals. Our favourite way to eat it is with baked potatoes topped with baked beans and cheddar cheese. Yum!