When most people think of frozen yogurt, they think of the slightly tangy soft-serve ice cream that is passed off as a healthy alternative to ice cream. In contrast, homemade frozen yogurt is a flavorful and probiotic treat! Learn how to make frozen yogurt with this simple recipe.
Frozen Yogurt versus Ice Cream
Most store-bought frozen yogurt is actually just ice cream with a bit of yogurt stirred in. Or it contains a ton of extra ingredients that give it a traditional ice cream consistency without the fat. Unfortunately, these extra ingredients aren’t particularly healthy.
Frozen yogurt that is actually made from yogurt has an icy consistency. This is because yogurt has far less fat than whipping cream. However, there is a way around all this iciness.
How to make a creamier frozen yogurt
I won’t promise that this simple, 3-ingredient recipe will turn into a perfectly custard-like treat. However, there are a few things you can do to make it creamier.
- Using honey instead of sugar helps prevent ice crystals from forming during the freezing process.
- If you make your own yogurt, use a mix of 50/50 milk and whipping cream for any batch that is going to be used for frozen yogurt. (Homemade yogurt is actually easier than you think. You don’t even need a yogurt maker!)
- Alternatively, replace 1 cup of yogurt with 1 cup of whipping cream. This will give the recipe the fat it needs for its creaminess.
Fun Flavor Options!
The basic recipe is perfect for all sorts of different flavors.
Flavors added before churning
- Chocolate frozen yogurt: mix in 1/2 cup of cocoa powder with the honey and vanilla.
- Honey-lemon: Add 2 Tbsp of lemon zest with the honey.
- Pistachio: Add in 3/4 cup of chopped and toasted pistachios and replace 1/2 of the vanilla extract with almond extract (or pistachio extract, if you have it).
- Fruit: There are two ways to add fruit, either mixed in throughout or swirled in afterward. The easiest way to make a fruit-flavored frozen yogurt is to replace the honey with jam. This will provide both flavor and sweetness. Strawberry, blueberry, and peach are all delicious!
Flavors added after churning
To swirl in a flavor, add it to the ice cream machine at the end of churing, then let it turn a few more times until it’s nicely distributed.
- Fruit: 100% fruit puree should be added in addition to the honey. Make a fruit puree by finely chopping the fruit, then cooking it until has broken down and the liquid is reduced.
- Nuts: Add a 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts, pecans, and almonds. Peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut spread can also be swirled in. However, don’t drop in a single large spoonful, but rather a few smaller spoonfuls.
- Cookies: Chopped cookies make a fun addition. Graham crackers taste great with strawberry frozen yogurt. Chocolate cookies are nice with cherry.
- Extra sweetness: If you have a sweet tooth, add some sweet additions. Chocolate chips, berry sauce, caramel sauce, or white chocolate are all delicious!
Honey Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
Honey vanilla frozen yogurt is flavorful and delicious. With only 3 ingredients, it’s really easy to make and it’s probiotic! See the section above for other flavor options: chocolate, pistachio, and more!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 5 cups of regular yogurt (or 3 cups of Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Option: replace 1 cup of strained yogurt with 1 cup of whipping cream
- Either start with 3 cups of Greek yogurt or strain 5 cups of regular yogurt through a double layer of cheesecloth for 2 hours. Save the whey, it’s useful for all sorts of delicious recipes.
- Scrape the thickened yogurt into a bowl or large measuring cup. Mix in the honey and vanilla and stir to fully combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before churning. It needs to be cold to churn properly.
- Follow the instructions for your ice cream maker to churn your frozen yogurt.
- Freeze the yogurt for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Using just yogurt is a great option for a low-fat dessert. However, replacing part of the yogurt with whipping cream will result in a much creamier texture.
- Feel free to swap the honey for maple syrup.
- This simple recipe is perfect for all sorts of different flavors. See the section above for some suggestions.
Keywords: probiotic, refined sugar free, healthy 3 ingredients, summer, spring, gluten free, soy free, nut free, grain free, chocolate, lemon, pistachio