When most people think of frozen yogurt, they think of the slightly tangy soft-serve ice cream that is passed off as a healthy alternative to ice cream. In contrast, honey vanilla frozen yogurt is a flavorful and probiotic treat!
Frozen Yogurt versus Ice Cream
Most frozen yogurt is actually just ice cream with a bit of yogurt stirred in. Or it contains a ton of extra ingredients that give it a traditional ice cream consistency without the fat. Unfortunately, these extra ingredients aren’t particularly healthy.
Frozen yogurt that is actually made from yogurt has an icy consistency. This is because yogurt has far less fat than whipping cream. However, there is a way around all this iciness.
How to make creamier frozen yogurt
I won’t promise that this simple, 3-ingredient recipe will turn into a perfectly custard-like treat. However, there are a few things you can do to make it creamier.
- Using honey instead of sugar helps prevent ice crystals from forming during the freezing.
- If you make your own yogurt, use a mix of 50/50 milk and whipping cream for any batch that is going to be used for frozen yogurt.
- Alternatively, replace 1 cup of yogurt with 1 cup of whipping cream.
Fun Flavor Options!
The basic recipe is perfect for all sorts of different flavors.
Here are a few of our favorite combinations:
- Chocolate frozen yogurt: mix in 1/2 cup of cocoa powder with the honey and vanilla.
- Honey-lemon frozen yogurt: Add 2 Tbsp of lemon zest with the honey.
- Pistachio: Add in 3/4 cup of chopped and toasted pistachios and replace 1/2 of the vanilla extract with almond extract.
- Toppings: Serve it with your favorite toppings: peanuts, chocolate chips, berry sauce.
Honey Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
Honey vanilla frozen yogurt is flavorful and delicious. With only 3 ingredients, it’s really easy to make and it’s probiotic! See the section above for other flavor options: chocolate, pistachio, and more!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 5 cups of regular yogurt (or 3 cups of Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Optional: replace 1 cup of strained yogurt with 1 cup of whipping cream
- Either start with 3 cups of Greek yogurt or strain 5 cups of regular yogurt through a double layer of cheesecloth for 2 hours. Save the whey, it’s useful for all sorts of delicious recipes.
- Scrape the thickened yogurt into a bowl or large measuring cup. Mix in the honey and vanilla and stir to fully combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before churning. It needs to be cold to churn properly.
- Follow the instructions for your ice cream maker to churn your frozen yogurt.
- Freeze the yogurt for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Using just yogurt is a great option for a low-fat dessert. However, replacing part of the yogurt with whipping cream will result in a much creamier texture.
- This simple recipe is perfect for all sorts of different flavors. See the section above for some suggestions.
Keywords: probiotic, refined sugar free, healthy 3 ingredients, summer, spring, gluten free, soy free, nut free, grain free, chocolate, lemon, pistachio