When most people think of frozen yogurt, they think of the slightly tangy soft-serve ice cream that is currently being passed off as “frozen yogurt”. This honey vanilla frozen yogurt is way more flavourful and it’s actually probiotic!
True frozen yogurt has an icy consistency when compared to traditional ice cream. This is because yogurt has far less fat than whipping cream. Using honey instead of sugar in this recipe will help make the frozen yogurt softer.
Flavours For Frozen Yogurt
This is a basic recipe for frozen yogurt that is perfect base for all sorts of different flavours. Here are some of our favourite combinations:
- Make chocolate frozen yogurt by mixing in 1/2 cup of cocoa powder with the honey and vanilla.
- Add 2 tbsp of lemon zest with the honey for a honey-lemon flavoured frozen yogurt.
- Enjoy a Mediterranean-inspired frozen yogurt. Add in 3/4 cup of chopped and toasted pistachios and replace 1/2 of the vanilla extract with almond extract.
- Frozen yogurt is a perfect base for all sorts of toppings: peanuts, chocolate chips, raspberry syrup. Or better yet, throw an ice cream sundae bar!
Honey Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
Honey vanilla frozen yogurt is flavourful and delicious. With only 3 ingredients, it’s really easy to make and it’s probiotic!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 5 cups of regular yogurt (or 3 cups of Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Optional: replace 1 cup of strained yogurt with 1 cup of whipping cream
- Either start with with 3 cups of Greek yogurt, or strain 5 cups of regular yogurt through a double layer of cheesecloth (or several pieces of paper towel) for 2 hours. Save the whey, it’s useful for all sort of different things.
- Scrape all the thickened yogurt into a container. Mix in the honey and vanilla and stir to fully combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before churning. It needs to be cold to churn properly.
- Follow the instructions for your ice cream maker to churn your frozen yogurt.
- Freeze the yogurt for at least a 3 hours before serving.
- Using just yogurt is great for a low-fat dessert. However, replacing part of the yogurt with whipping cream will result in a much creamier texture.
- Frozen yogurt is perfect for all sorts of different flavours. See the top of the post for some delicious ideas.
- I have this ice cream maker, and I love it.
Keywords: probiotic, refined sugar free, healthy 3 ingredients, summer, spring, gluten free, soy free, nut free, grain free