Looking for a healthy frosting recipe? Kefir cheese frosting is made with probiotic cream cheese and jam for a flavourful and sugar-free frosting! It’s perfect for everything from red velvet cupcakes to cinnamon buns.
Probiotic Cream Cheese
This frosting is a sugar-free version of a traditional cream cheese frosting. It will work with all sorts of different soft cheeses:
- Kefir cheese: The recipe was designed with pressed kefir cheese. Using drained kefir cheese will result in a thin glaze rather than a frosting.
- Store-bought cream cheese: Bricks of cream cheese are firmer than homemade cheese, so allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 6 hours before using so that you can easily mix it with the jam.
- Homemade cream cheese: Cream cheese is really easy to make at home and will have the perfect consistency.
- Other cheeses: This will also work with soft goat cheese, ricotta or mascarpone.
Kefir Cheese Frosting
Kefir cheese frosting is a healthy alternative to sweet frostings. It’s made with probiotic cream cheese and jam for a flavourful and sugar-free icing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups (enough for 12 cupcakes) 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup jam (use sugar-free jam for a sugar-free frosting)
- 1/2– 1 cup icing sugar (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together until smooth. For a stiff frosting whisk in icing sugar as needed.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before frosting to make it firm.
- This recipe was created for kefir cheese, however, you can use all sorts of different kinds of soft cheeses. See the section above for some alternatives.
- For probiotic frosting, use an icing sugar without sulfites. Most icing sugars have sulfites to keep them bright-white, so read the packaging.
- Use sugar-free jam for sugar free frosting! It won’t set up as firmly without the added icing sugar. However, I never use icing sugar, and you can tell from the photos that it is still quite thick. If you aren’t using icing sugar then the firmness will really depend on the type of soft cheese you use.
- Apricot jam provides a nice neutral flavour and is usually free from large chunks which makes it ideal for frosting.
- Marmalade is delicious with chocolate cake. It usually has chunks of peel, so pipe it through a round decorating tip.
- Raspberry and blueberry jams make a beautiful pink frosting.
Keywords: kefir, probiotic, goat cheese, sugar free, gluten free, jam, apricot, blueberry, marmalade, soy free, gluten free, nut free, egg free