Kimchi fried rice is my children’s favourite way to eat kimchi. The rich flavour of egg and rice perfectly complements the salty and pungent flavour of kimchi. Best of all, this dish only takes a few minutes to prepare!
A Healthy Meal Ready in 10 minutes
It’s really hard to serve healthy food to my family every night. Between work and after school activities, I don’t always have time to cook.
That’s why dishes, like this kimchi fried rice, are among my go-to recipes. It literally takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. The secret is that most of the ingredients are prepared ahead of time.
To make delicious fried rice you need to have cooked and cooled rice. The resistant starch is what allows the rice to fry up crispy rather than stick together in a clumpy way.
Either make a double batch of rice for a meal earlier in the week (plan ahead!) Or freeze cooked rice for a quick, no-planning option.
Obviously kimchi is key to this kimchi fried rice. Kimchi is perfect because it:
- provides lots of preprepared vegetables
- is packed full of flavour (garlic, ginger, chilli)
- and is a source of probiotics
You can find kimchi in most Asian markets or even grocery stores with a decent Asian food selection. However, kimchi is also really easy to make. It is a perfect ferment for beginners because it doesn’t need any special tools or ingredients. The best part about homemade kimchi is that you get to choose exactly what vegetables are in it and how spicy it is.
I really like vegetarian kimchi. And my kids usually prefer a no-spice kid-friendly kimchi. I usually make both types of kimchi at the same time and it really only takes me about an hour to get through all the chopping. (Isn’t that what Sunday afternoons are for?)
Feel free to take this simple egg-fried rice recipe and serve it with your favourite fried rice toppings. Here are a few suggestions that are popular and delicious:
- Toasted sesame seeds, chopped peanuts or cashews
- Saute tofu cubes
- Cooked pork or chicken diced into cubes
- Cooked shrimp
- Frozen vegetables like broccoli, peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
Kimchi Fried Rice
Kimchi fried rice is a quick, delicious and healthy meal. Filling and nutritious, all you need for this dish is a jar of kimchi, rice and a few eggs. Ready in less than 10 minutes, it’s the perfect weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Asian
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp fry oil (divided)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 4 cups of cold cooked rice
- 3 cups of kimchi
- Additional toppings (see suggestions above)
- Whisk together the eggs and salt.
- Put 1 tbsp of fry oil in a skillet. Add the eggs and scramble until completely set. Move the eggs to a bowl.
- Put the remaining oil into the skillet. Add in the rice and coat with the oil. Fry until hot and starting to crisp. Add in the eggs and other toppings.
- Fry for 5 minutes, until everything is warm.
- If you want the probiotic benefits of kimchi, either mix it into your rice after you’ve finished cooking or serve it on top (like in the photographs).
- See the section above for other ingredients that can be added to this simple egg-fried rice. It’s always good to add more protein, vegetables or flavour!
Keywords: easy, 10 minutes or less, vegetarian, healthy, probiotic, gluten free, quick, weeknight, cook-ahead, kid-friendly