The sourness of lemons in this traditional pie is melded into something more complex by the addition of whey. It’s doesn’t result in a “healthy” dessert, but it is a great way to use up some extra whey! And who doesn’t love a good piece of pie?!Print
Lemon and Whey Meringue Pie
The sourness of lemons in this traditional pie is melded into something more complex by the addition of whey. And it is a great way to use up extra whey!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- One 9 inch pie crust, pre-baked (425 F for 20 min).
- 1 cup sugar (could replace with other non-liquid sweetener like stevia)
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cup whey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 egg yolks well beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sugar (essential to stability)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Combine all of the filling ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Slowly bring to a boil, stirring gently. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute and pour into the pie crust. (It should have started thickening.)
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat sugar, until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in vanilla and dollop over the lemon pie.
- Bake for 20 min at 425 F.
- Allow to cook before serving.
- Store in fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: traditional, extra whey, winter