Ayran or doogh is a surprisingly refreshing yogurt drink. Fresh, tangy, and salty, it is also sugar-free and probiotic. Perfect for a hot summer’s day.
I was first introduced to Ayran, a Middle Eastern yogurt drink while visiting a friend in Istanbul. We took an open-air ferry across the Bosphorus, with our friend giving us the local’s version of a tour.
A glass of Ayran was part of the deal. “You either love it or hate it,” he told us. And we loved it.
A Popular Beverage
This fresh and sparkling Middle Eastern yogurt drink has many different names: Doogh, Ayran, and Tahn among others. The exact proportion of water, yogurt, and salt will vary depending on the recipe and personal preference, but otherwise, they are all essentially the same.
It’s not surprising that yogurt drinks are popular in so many countries in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia. It’s a refreshing and healthy way to stay hydrated.
Yogurt is probiotic and provides some calories, without a large sugar or protein hit. The sea salt helps with hydration. And it’s delicious!Print
Ayran Yogurt Drink
This Middle Eastern yogurt drink comes with many different names: ayran, doogh, and tahn. It is fresh, sparkling, and delicious. Perfect for hydrating on a hot summer’s day.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Beverage
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups water (sparkling or still)
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 sprig mint (optional)
- Like most traditional recipes, this yogurt drink should be made to reflect individual tastes. It can be made with sparkling water or still water. The ratio of yogurt to water can be altered to suit your taste. It is often much saltier and could be made with up to 1/2 tsp of salt. These proportions are what I enjoy, and I encourage you to mix to your personal preference.
- Mix the sparkling water, yogurt, and salt in a large pitcher. Whisk until the yogurt is fully mixed into the water.
- Serve immediately over ice with a few mint leaves.
- If you don’t drink it all right away, store it in the fridge, and mix again before serving a second time.
Keywords: doogh, ayran, tan, yogurt milk, probiotic, healthy, summer, Iran, Turkey, Lebanese, Bulgaria, Balkans, Russia, Israel