Curry is one of my favourite quick and easy meals. In less than 30 minutes, I can make a delicious and healthy meal with pretty much whatever happens to be in my kitchen cupboard. I particularly like serving curry with fermented vegetable pickles for a tangy addition to a warm and flavourful meal.
Create your own curry recipe
This is a great basic recipe that can be adjusted for whatever you happen to have in your fridge:
- Feel free to replace the sweet potato with carrots, cauliflower or white potatoes. Throw in a handful of spinach.
- Use whatever beans or lentils you happen to have on hand.
- Replace the coconut milk with plain yogurt.
- And throw in a tin of tomatoes if you want.
- Even the addition of fermented vegetable pickles is optional. Use pickled lemons or apple chutney instead.
Mung Bean Curry with Fermented Vegetable Pickles
This recipe is for a very simple bean and vegetable curry. It is a delicious quick and easy meal. Make it even more exciting by serving this curry with fermented vegetable pickles on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Indian
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cup of cooked beans (chickpeas or mung beans)
- 2 medium sweet potato diced into cubes
- 2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of fermented vegetable pickles (see notes)
- Cilantro leaves
- Saute the onions in the oil until softened. Add in all the rest of the spices, and cook for about 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add in the beans and sweet potato. Stir to coat in the spices, then pour in the vegetable stock.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until the sweet potato is cooked (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in the coconut milk and lime juice. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a scoop of pickled vegetables and cilantro.
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, probiotic, sauerkraut