Fermented millet porridge is a traditional breakfast in a number of countries spanning Europe, Asia and Africa, where millet is an affordable and sustainable crop. Fermentation improves digestibility and increased the nutritional value of the millet, for a wholesome breakfast.
This recipe follows the traditional fermentation method for Nigerian Ogi. The millet is milled and fermented before cooking, for a very smooth and creamy cereal, with an almost gel-like quality. So it quite different from my recipe for coarse fermented millet.Print
Fermented millet porridge is a traditional breakfast in Asia, Africa and Russia. Fermenting millet improves the digestibility of the grain and increases the nutritional value.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Nigerian
- 1 cup of millet
- Filtered water (chlorine free)
- 1 tbsp culture (optional, see notes)
- Soak the millet for 24 hours covered in water in a glass container. This will soften the millet and start the fermentation process.
- Drain the millet, then grind it into a smooth paste.
- Ferment the millet paste with 1 cup of water. You can add 1 tbsp of culture at this point, but it isn’t required. Leave the millet paste to ferment in a warm location for 2-3 days.
- After the fermentation, bring the millet paste and to a boil with 3.5 cups total liquid (including 1 cup of liquid used for fermentation).
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Use a grain mill or a blender to grind your millet.
- If you want to use a culture for this ferment try yogurt, vegan yogurt, buttermilk or kefir.
- Ogi is traditionally quite soupy, if you want it thicker, then reduce the liquid by 1/2 cup.
- Serve millet porridge like any cooked cereal, with sugar, butter, milk or condensed milk. Add fruit and spices to make a delicious morning cereal. I like apple-cinnamon and berries.
- Ogi can also be added as a thickener for soups and stews.
Keywords: millet, uji, traditional, baby food, healthy, gluten free, vegan