I love ice cream. I especially love creamy and delicious probiotic ice cream. This recipe is my FAVOURITE because it is so easy to make, and it is a great basic recipe for all sorts of flavours.
To make a probiotic ice cream all you need to do is use cultured cream and milk. I usually culture cream with milk kefir grains. However you could use cultured buttermilk or sour cream to culture your milk and cream. Or if culturing cream just isn’t your thing, then use uncultured cream and substitute yogurt for the milk to get a dose of probiotics.
This recipe is for an uncooked ice cream (for the probiotic goodness) so I use honey instead of sugar to keep the ice cream soft and prevent crystallization. I also like the depth of flavour that honey adds to the ice cream.
This is a great BASIC vanilla ice cream recipe that can be turned into all sorts of different ice cream flavours. Flavours can either be added during the initial mixing stage of the recipe or added into the last 5 minutes of churning for a distributed effect. I don’t recommend adding fruit to this recipe as it will change the volume and consistency. Check out my kefir and fruit ice cream recipe if you want a fruity ice cream. And if you are looking for a low fat frozen treat, try frozen yogurt.
Here are some suggested flavours and feel free to mix and match! I like chocolate with almonds; lemon with mint and pumpkin pie spice with walnuts.
Added to the recipe mix
- Chocolate: 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- Peanut butter: 1 cup peanut butter
- Herbs and spices: Use up to 1-2 cups of fresh herbs or 1 tbsp of ground spices. I recommend mint, rosemary, basil, chai spice or pumpkin pie spice.
- Lemon or orange: Add 2 tbsp of zest
Added during churning
- Roasted nuts: about 1 cup chopped nuts
- Swirled: add 1/2 cup of chocolate, caramel or strawberry sauce
- Cookies and candy: add about 1 cup of your favourite cookies crumbled or candies chopped
Probiotic Ice Cream
This simple, no-cook, vanilla ice cream is a perfect basic recipe for all your favourite flavours. It uses cultured milk (for a probiotic kick) and honey for a cream and delicious frozen treat.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- 1 cup milk (cultured)
- 2 cups whipping cream (cultured)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup honey (depending on taste)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- Pre-culture your milk and whipping cream for a dose of probiotics. (See notes.)
- Mix all the ingredients together. You may need to heat up the honey to get it to combine with the cream. Just cool the mixture in the fridge before putting it in the ice cream maker.
- Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker to churn your ice cream.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
Keywords: gluten free, probiotic, milk kefir, buttermilk, sour cream, cultured, summer, hot, refined sugar free, vanilla, no-cook, simple, easy