Celebrations don’t have to involve sugar-fueled parties. This healthy ice cream cake can be turned into a gluten free, sugar free and probiotic dessert. It is rich and flavouful with a balanced sweetness.
A healthy cake?
The best part about this ice cream cake is that it is so easy to customize for any diet. It is a great way to celebrate without having to compromise great taste and good health. Here’s how to make a cake to suit your diet:
- Gluten Free: Use gluten free graham cracker crumbs for the base.
- Sugar Free: Use almond meal instead of a cookie base, along with sugar-free ice cream.
- Low Fat: Make a cake with low-fat frozen yogurt.
- Probiotic: Kefir cultured ice cream and whipping cream will add a dose of probiotics to this dessert.
- Vegan: Use vegan ice cream and whipped coconut.
A Cake For Every Occasion
A healthy ice cream cake is perfect for all sorts of occasions. It is endlessly customizable with lots of flavour options. Here are a few suggestions:
- Chocolate cherry: Use chocolate wafer cookies for the base, then add one layer of chocolate ice cream and a layer of cherry ice cream. Top with chocolate whipped cream and serve with sliced cherries.
- Sugar-free strawberry banana: Use almond meal for the base, then add a layer of vanilla frozen yogurt, and a layer of strawberry banana ice cream. Top with whipping cream and sliced strawberries.
- Mint chocolate: This is perfect for winter. Make layer of chocolate ice cream and a layer of mint ice cream. Decorate with crushed mint candies.
- Cherry cheesecake: This is the cake I made for the photograph. The base was made out of graham cracker crumbs. The bottom layer was a rich kefir cultured honey vanilla ice and the top layer was cherry ice cream. Serve with fermented cherry sauce.
- Lovely lemon: A lemon flavoured ice cream cake is fresh and simple. It is perfect with a graham cracker base or an almond base. Make a layer of vanilla ice cream and a layer of lemon ice cream. Decorate with whipped cream and lemon zest.
Healthy Ice Cream Cake
It is easy to make ice cream cake. Create a healthy ice cream cake by using sugar-free and probiotic ice cream. See the sections above for suggestions as to how to create your own unique ice cream cake.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6" cake 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups crumbs (cookie crumbs or ground almond – see notes)
- 4 cups of ice cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Melt the butter and combine with the crumbs.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the base of a 6″ springform pan.
- Spread 2 cups of ice cream.
- Top with the other half of the cookie crumbs.
- Spread a second layer of 2 cups of ice cream.
- Top with the whipping cream and decorate.
- Store the cake in a ziptop bag in the freezer until ready to serve. Allow to defrost for 10 minutes before serving.
- See the notes below for some helpful suggestions.
- It is easiest to make this cake with freshly made ice cream. Store-bought ice cream will need to be softened before it is ready to spread out on the cake.
- If you can spare the time, freeze the cake between each of the layers to make nice, clean layers.
- Depending on the type of decorations, it can be better to decorate right before serving. This is particularly true of fresh fruit and fruit sauces.
Keywords: probiotic, gluten free, egg-free, refined sugar free, spring, summer, birthday, holiday, 30 minutes or less, 5 ingredients or less