Labour Day weekend means that summer is officially over. However, I want to celebrate summer by sharing a recipe for a fully cultured ice cream cake!
This cake is so much better than a store bought ice cream cake. It is ripe with flavour that is balanced by sweetness. It is also full of probiotic goodness, that will help you ease that “second piece” guilt.Print
Cultured Ice Cream Cake
Homemade ice cream cake is so much better than a store bought. It is full of flavour that is not overwhelmed by sweetness.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6" cake 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Frozen
Chocolate Wafer Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1–2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups fruit and kefir ice cream
- 2 cups honey vanilla frozen yogurt
- 2 cups kefir whipping cream
- Cream butter, honey and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the dry and liquid ingredients until they form a firm dough, add 1-2 Tbsp of milk if needed to bring the dough together.
- Roll the dough into a log with a 1.5″ diameter, wrap it up in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut the logs into 1/8″ medallions and bake on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 F (180C) for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Crumble the cookies in a food processor and press half of the crumbs into the base of a 6″ springform pan.
- Spread a layer of the honey vanilla frozen yogurt.
- Top with the other half of the cookie crumbs.
- Spread a layer of fruit and kefir ice cream.
- Cover with plastic and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, top with the whipping cream and decorate.
- The cake in the photographed was made with strawberry kefir ice cream, but you could use any flavour that inspires you. (Chocolate cherry cake? Yum!)
- Since the cookies are going to be crumbled, it really doesn’t matter what flour you use. I made my cookies with just almond flour for extra richness.
Keywords: probiotic, gluten free, egg free, refined sugar free, summer, birthday