This vegan Reuben sandwich is a great way to showcase homemade fermented foods. Pretty much everything in it is fermented. The sauerkraut, rye bread, tempeh… it’s all fermented!
A Fermenting Foodie Sandwich
I’m hoping that this simple sandwich will encourage you to try making some of your own fermented foods!
- Sauerkraut is a very easy ferment for beginners. All it takes is cabbage, salt and patience.
- Dijon mustard and probiotic ketchup are both good for getting a bit more probiotics into your diet.
- Sourdough rye is a no-kneed bread that has an amazing flavour.
- Tempeh is definitely more advanced ferment, but it’s still very fun to make! Why not try something new?
Vegan Reuben Sandwich
This Reuben is the ultimate fermented sandwich. Everything in it is fermented! The sauerkraut, rye bread, tempeh. It’s also amazingly satisfying and delicious.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped onion.
- Mix together the ingredients for the Russian dressing in a small bowl.
- Lay out two pieces of bread for each sandwich on a cookie sheet, and toast under the broiler until they are just starting to brown.
- Spread a thin layer of Russian dressing on each slice of bread (top and bottom slices) .
- Cover the bottom slice of bread with a slice of tempeh, followed by 2 tbsp of sauerkraut, and top with a slice of cheese.
- Place the second slice of bread on top of the cheese, then butter the top of the sandwich.
- Broil on low until the bread is well toasted.
- Serve immediately with a large fermented dill pickle and a handful of potato chips.
- Swiss cheese is traditional in a Reuben sandwich, so if you’re a vegetarian feel free to replace the vegan cheese with Swiss cheese, and the margarine for butter.
- I’ve included my favourite vegan alternatives in the recipe above, however, feel free to replace them with your favourites.
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, probiotic, easy, snack, dinner, summer, fall,