The Reuben is the ultimate fermented sandwich. Everything in it is fermented! The sauerkraut, rye bread, cheese… see the section above for instructions for your own DYI fermented ingredients.
- Author: Emillie
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped onion.
- Rye bread
- Sauerkraut (drained)
- Swiss cheese
- Thinly sliced tempeh (or corned beef)
- Mix together the ingredients for the Russian dressing in a bowl.
- Lay out two pieces of bread for each sandwich on a cookie sheet and toast under the broiler until just starting to brown.
- Spread a thin layer of Russian dressing on each slice of bread (top and bottom slices) .
- Cover the bottom slice of bread with a layer of corn beef or tempeh, followed by a layer of sauerkraut, and top with Swiss cheese.
- Place the second slice of bread on top of the cheese, then butter the top of the sandwich.
- Broil on low until cheese is melted and the bread is well toasted.
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, probiotic, easy