Salt-brined eggs are absolutely delicious. Fermented eggs are SO much tastier than your typical hard boiled egg that I can’t imagine going back to non-fermented pickled eggs. Nicely salted and firm, they are perfect for snacking, egg salad or deviled eggs.
Not only that, fermented eggs are so EASY to make. Much easier than sauerkraut, yogurt and a host of other probiotic foods.
Why not try fermenting some eggs today?!
Flavours and more
Fermented eggs are infused with whatever flavours you include in your brine. So I recommend playing around with all sorts of different flavours:
- Hot peppers
To make coloured pickled eggs, ferment with colourful fermented foods.
- The purple eggs (above) were fermented in a jar of pickled beets.
- Adding turmeric, or fermenting in turmeric bug will give the eggs a pale yellow hue.
- For a pale pink egg, ferment in beet kvass.
Salt-brined pickled eggs are the perfect hard boiled eggs, nicely salted and firm! These fermented eggs are SO tasty and perfect for picnics, snacks, salads or deviled eggs. Try making different flavours and colours. See the section above for more details.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 quart jar 1x
- Category: Pickles
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: British
- 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/4 cup of starter (see notes)
- 1 tbsp non-iodized salt
- 2 cups filtered water (to cover, chlorine free)
- Sterilize a 1 quart jar by filling it with boiling water and letting it sit for 5 minutes before pouring the water out.
- Fill the jar with eggs (and any other flavourings you want, see above for some ideas).
- Dissolve the salt in 1/2 cup of water and pour over eggs with the starter. Add more filtered water so that the eggs are covered.
- Allow to ferment for 1-3 days somewhere cool.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- I always encourage newbie fermenters to read the Fermentation Basics to avoid making a mistake (no one likes a rotten egg).
- Use any fermented liquid as your starter: whey, cultured cider vinegar, kombucha or a purchased starter (affiliate link) to ensure a quick ferment. Each of the starters will add a different flavour to the eggs. See the section above for starters that will colour your eggs.
Keywords: easter, traditional, beet, turmeric, kvass, paleo, keto, gluten free, grain free, snack, breakfast, egg salad, deviled eggs, dinner