Sauerkraut latkes are a traditional potato latke recipe stuffed with sauerkraut! It is a delicious pairing that makes a perfect side dish for most any meal.
Here are some of my favourite ways to serve latkes:
- With fried eggs and hollandaise for breakfast
- As a snack with feta and herb dip
- Topped with a slice of smoked salmon and spoonful of sour cream
- A dollop of probiotic apple sauce
- Served for lunch with cheese, mustard and more sauerkraut
Potato and Sauerkraut Latkes
This traditional potato latke is stuffed with sauerkraut for a delicious pairing. This delicious side dish is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try it with sour cream or cheese and mustard. See the suggestions above for more serving ideas.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4–6 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Jewish
- 1 lbs of potato
- 1/2 cup of drained sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup of flour (see notes)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Oil for frying
- Finely grate the potato.
- Mix the potatoes with the sauerkraut, egg, flour and seasonings.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes so that the flour can absorb all the liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Take a spoonful of the potato mixture (about a 1/4 cup) and drop it on the hot oil.
- Press the potatoes flat with the back of the spoon.
- Fry until cooked through and brown on both sides (about 5 minutes on each side.)
- Serve immediately.
- I used buckwheat flour in this recipe. However, feel free to use whatever flour you prefer. Depending on the type of flour, it may not absorb all the liquid. So just sprinkle on another tablespoon of flour, as needed.
- A food processor or a mandoline (affiliate link) will make grating the potatoes easy.
- Cooking will kill the probiotic lactobacteria in the sauerkraut. However, you can always serve the latkes with another spoonful of kraut.
Keywords: traditional, sauerkraut, Hanukkah, winter, fall, gluten free, vegetarian, dairy free, nut free, dinner, breakfast, lunch, 30 minutes or less, 10 ingredients or less