Sauerkraut soup is a blend of a creamy mashed potato and tomato soup base (common in Doukhobor soups) and a German-style sausage soup. It’s a really hearty and delicious soup that is a favourite with pretty much everyone.
A Fermentation Friendly Meal
Sauerkraut soup is a great way to feature homemade fermented foods!
- Sauerkraut: Whether you make your own, or buy sauerkraut, I recommend using a fermented sauerkraut rather than a vinegar-based one. The flavour is just better for this soup.
- Sour Cream: Homemade sour cream is surprisingly easy to make. Why not try it?
- Rye Bread: I love a well-fermented sourdough bread. I am a fermentation foodie, after all!
Sauerkraut soup is a delicious German-style sausage soup made with a creamy potato base. Topped with fresh sauerkraut and sour cream, it is a healthy and filling meal.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: German
- 3 tbsp oil (or bacon fat)
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots grated
- 4 sausages chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups of broth
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- sour cream
- Saute onion, garlic, carrots and sausage in oil until the sausage starts browning.
- Pour in broth, chopped tomatoes and spices.
- Add in the potatoes (whole or sliced in half for really large potatoes) and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the potatoes are soft (about 20 min). Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon and mash with the milk.
- Stir the potatoes back to the soup and salt to taste.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and sauerkraut.
Keywords: probiotic, healthy, hearty, comforting, fall, winter