Everyone loves pizza! And a traditional sourdough pizza crust is rich, chewy and amazingly delicious. It only takes 3 simple ingredients: flour, water and salt.
However, my favourite reason to make homemade pizza is because my kids love it too! It is a great way to get them into the kitchen and helping me cook dinner.
Creating Future Pizza Chefs
I am a huge believer in the importance of getting kids into the kitchen. Food Literacy (understanding how your food choices impact your health, the environment and the economy) is one of my key interests. I feel that teaching kids basic cooking skills is the BEST way to give our children the that they need to have healthy eating habits.
And PIZZA plays a big role in making sure my kids are interested in cooking. There are so many ways that kids can help make pizza:
- Mix & kneed the dough
- Shop for ingredients
- Chop up the vegetables
- Grate the cheese
- And of course they decorate their own pizza!
Sourdough Pizza Crust
Do you know the secret to amazing pizza? It’s making it with a traditional sourdough pizza crust! This crust follows a simple recipe that only requires 4 ingredients. It is vegan friendly and delicious!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 crusts 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Sourdough
- Cuisine: Italian
- Warm the water to about 30C (86F), then mix with the flour. Using warm water helps to kick start the hydration, the exact temperature doesn’t really matter, just avoid it being too hot or cold.
- Let the flour hydrate for 15-30 minutes, then mix with the sourdough starter and the salt. Kneed as required to bring all of the ingredients together.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm location for 12-14 hours. Use the dough folding procedure 2 times during this rise.
- Place the dough on a well floured surface and cut into 5 equal pieces.
- Gently shape the dough into a ball, using flour as required, but avoid kneeding.
- Lightly oil the dough balls. They can be used right away, but for the best flavour development, store the dough tightly covered in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, but up to 3 days.
- Shape the dough right from the refrigerator just before baking.
- Top as desired, and bake as hot as possible until the crust is browning. At 500 F the pizza will be ready in 15 minutes. At 450 F the pizza will be ready in 20 minutes.
Keywords: dairy-free, egg-free, oil free, sugar free, vegan, dinner, lunch, 4 ingredients