What could be tastier than a stack of sourdough pancakes on a beautiful sunny morning? These pancakes are light and fluffy with a delicious sourdough tanginess that gives them a uniquely vintage flavour.
This recipe is perfect whenever you have extra sourdough starter. It’s so easy, all you need to do is set up the sourdough to ferment the night before, which makes for an easier morning.
Balancing the sourdough flavour
I tried many recipes on my way to creating this delicious sourdough pancake. It’s all about balancing the sourness. The recipes I tried had one of two problems:
- Overly sour: Using too much starter results in a sour-tasting that’s not very enjoyable.
- Quick mix: Some recipes simply involve adding a bit of sourdough starter into a typical pancake batter. Skipping the overnight ferment seems to defeat the purpose of making sourdough pancakes in the first place!
This recipe balances those two extremes for a delicious pancake that is also well-fermented. The perfect sourdough pancake!
Sourdough pancakes are perfect for all sorts of added flavours. The tanginess of sourdough naturally complements savoury flavours. However, it’s also a nice balance for sweet flavours.
Here are a few savoury and sweet recommendations.
If you want to make savoury pancakes (perfect with eggs) don’t add any sugar to the batter. Instead, stir in 2-3 tbsp of a savoury addition.
- Chopped fresh herbs: parsley, chives, rosemary, basil
- Diced green onion
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Pancakes are traditionally served with sweet flavours. While I don’t usually cook with sugar, I have added 1 tbsp of sugar to this recipe to balance the sourdough flavour. However, sugar is optional and if you want to avoid it, then try adding in 2-3 tbsp of a sweet flavour addition instead.
- Tiny chocolate chips
- Grated apple with 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Fresh or frozen blueberries, tossed in 1 tbsp of flour before being added to the batter
- Sliced strawberries can be added by placing a few on top of the pancake after it has been ladled out on the grill
Sourdough pancakes are light and fluffy with a full flavour. Perfect for savoury or sweet toppings. See the section above for some delicious flavour additions.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3–4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Sourdough
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 oz active sourdough starter (1/4 cup)
- 5 oz flour (1 cup)
- 1 cup of water (filtered and at room temperature)
- 2 eggs (optional – see notes)
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Mix all the ingredients for the overnight sourdough ferment in a glass container. Cover it with a tea towel and leave it somewhere warm for 8-12 hours.
- The next morning preheat your pan before mixing the batter. The pancakes will start to rise as soon as you mix everything in.
- When your pan is preheated, mix all of the remaining ingredients into the sourdough starter. Feel free to add some additional flavours (see the section above for ideas).
- Cook the pancakes on medium until nicely browned on both sides.
- This recipe doesn’t require eggs. Instead, use flax eggs: mix 2 tbsp flax with 1/4 cup of water and let it sit for 10 minutes to hydrate before stirring into the batter. I’ve done this a number of times, and it works out great!
- The sourdough gives these pancakes a savoury flavour. For a more traditional sweet pancake, add in 1 tbsp of sugar. If you want a sweet pancake without sugar, use an alternative sweetener. We like date sugar.
- We have an amazing cast iron griddle that covers two burners. Perfect for making a load of pancakes all at once.
Keywords: dinner, dessert, savoury, sweet, fermented, blueberry, strawberry, onion, chocolate chip, cheese, herb