I have always loved Mediterranean food. The rich flavours complemented by sharp salty cheese. This Turkish chickpea stew is one of my favourite dishes.
Served with wilted greens and poached eggs, it is perfect for all sorts of meals:
- Breakfast or brunch: Make the chickpea stew in advance, so you only have to reheat it while you make the kale and eggs. You’ll have a healthy breakfast in less than 15 minutes!
- Lunch or dinner: Serve it with olives, flatbread and tzatziki for a Mediterranean feast.
A Side Dish for all Occasions
In this recipe I serve the stew with wilted kale and poached eggs, however, you can use it as a side dish for all sorts of meals. It has a lightly spiced, rich flavour that pairs well with lots of dishes:
- For a vegan option, serve the chickpea stew with a huge salad and a sprinkle of toasted sunflower seeds.
- Turkish chickpea stew can be made ahead and served cold with a sprinkle of feta. Perfect for a BBQ, picnic or potluck.
- Instead of eggs, use it as a base for roast chicken.
- Make a Mediterranean glory bowl.
Turkish Chickpea stew with kale and eggs
Looking for a unique and delicious dish for brunch, or a healthy dinner option? This Turkish chickpea stew with kale and eggs is savoury and seasonal. Topped with salty feta, it has the perfect balance of Mediterranean flavours.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4–6 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cans of chickpeas (1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, cooked)
- 1/2 cup of broth
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta
- Gently cook the onions in the olive oil until soft. Add in the garlic and spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, tomato paste and broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Gently mash the chickpeas. Then mix in cider vinegar and salt. Taste, and adjust the salt as needed.
- Turn down the heat and continue to cook while you prepare the eggs and kale.
- Saute the kale and garlic in olive oil until wilted. Salt to taste.
- Prepare the eggs using your favourite method. If I have really fresh eggs, then I like to poach them in a water bath. Otherwise, I make a large pot of simple scrambled eggs. Make at least 1 egg per person.
- Serve each plate individually. Place a spoonful of chickpea stew on the bottom, then add a bit of wilted kale, then top it with an egg. Add 2 tbsp of crumbled feta and serve.
Keywords: healthy, grain-free, gluten free, vegetarian, Mediterranean, brunch, lunch, dinner, fall, winter, spring