Gluten free bread isn’t easy to make. As a person who has been gluten free since before it was a thing, even I have to admit that gluten is basically the reason why bread exists. This is why it is VERY important to have a good gluten free bread flour mix.
To be honest, I never used to bother with bread at all. However, when both my kids ended up being gluten free I felt obliged to come up with a decent gluten free bread recipe. I spent a lot of time experimenting, and have created several different gluten free bread recipes. And the secret to a good gluten free loaf of bread is a good gluten free flour mix.
- 1½ cups wholegrain flour
- 1½ cup starch
- ½ cup white flour
- 1 cup bean flour
- I've listed examples of each of the flours below, so that you can use whatever flour works best for you.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled if you want to make a large batch of flour. Just mix all the ingredients in a large container and use for baking gluten free bread.
- This flour mix is the base for most of my gluten free sourdough recipes. I have written all the recipes so that you can mix up the flours each time. Or you can do what I do… and mix up a huge batch of flour once every few months.
- I use a different flour mix for gluten free cookies, muffins and other baked goods. It is softer and doesn’t have the bean flour.
The flours that I typically use are underlined. However, feel free to experiment and see which flour combinations are your favourite. If you have a particular combination that you want to share, leave me a note in the comments section, and I will be sure to try it out!
- Wholegrain Flours: brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, millet flour, oat flour, quinoa flour, sorghum flour or teff flour. If you want a white bread flour mix, then replace the wholegrain flour with white rice flour.
- Starches: potato starch, sweet rice flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- Bean Flours: chickpea flour, urad flour, fava bean flour, soy flour
- White Flour: white rice flour, almond flour, hazelnut flour, masa harina