It’s easy to take fermented quinoa and turn it into a delicious pudding. Probiotic quinoa pudding is similar to a tapioca or rice pudding with that distinctly nutty quinoa flavour.
Red quinoa will hold it’s shape for a more rice-like texture. If you want a creamy pudding, use golden quinoa because it doesn’t hold its shape after fermentation. The recipe below is for a basic vanilla pudding. However, it’s just a base for any type of pudding you want! (See the bottom of the post for some suggestions.)Print
Vanilla Quinoa Pudding
Probiotic quinoa pudding is similar to tapioca or rice pudding. This is a base recipe that can be flavoured with chocolate, butterscotch and more! See the bottom of the post for some delicious options.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (see notes for a probiotic option)
- 1 cup of milk (or non-dairy substitute)
- 1/4 cup of honey or maple syrup
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- Puree the banana to a smooth consistency.
- Mix the milk, honey, banana, salt and butter with the cooked quinoa in a pot.
- Slowly warm up on the stove, and stir until thickened. Don’t bring to a boil as you’ll scald the milk and kill the probiotics.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Serve chilled or warm.
- I recommend using fermented quinoa for a probiotic option, or use soaked and cooked quinoa as another healthy alternative.
- For a smooth and creamy pudding, use an immersion blender and blend until the pudding is thick and smooth.
- I actually used a split vanilla pod for my pudding. (You can see the black flecks in the picture below.) I put the pod in with the milk to fully infuse the pudding.
Keywords: vegan, probiotic, sugar free, healthy, chocolate, coconut, butterscotch, raisin spice
Quinoa pudding flavours:
- Chocolate: Add two tbsp of cocoa powder in with the milk.
- Butterscotch: Replace the banana with 1/2 a cup of chopped dates. Soak the dates in water, drain, then puree before stirring into the pudding. Replace the honey with dark brown sugar.
- Coconut: Replace the milk with coconut milk.
- Chocolate Almond: Add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder and replace the milk with almond milk.
- Raisin spice: Add 1/3 cup of raisins, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of ginger in with the milk. Top with chopped pistachios or walnuts.