Traditional sourdough biscuits are simple and delicious buns that are perfect for anytime you want fresh bread for dinner, without taking the time to make a proper loaf of sourdough bread. They are also a great way to use up extra sourdough starter.
Sourdough biscuits are similar to buttermilk biscuits, in that an acidic batter is mixed with baking soda for a fast rising bread. However, buttermilk biscuits are cake-like, and using a sourdough starter means that sourdough biscuits already have a well-developed gluten structure, creating a bun instead.
Sourdough biscuits are perfect for:
- quick and easy dinner rolls
- small sandwiches
- sloppy joes
Best of all, they are great way to use up a lot of extra sourdough starter!
Quick Sourdough Biscuits
Traditional sourdough biscuits are delicious and soft buns that are quick and easy to make. They are also a great way to use up a LOT of extra sourdough starter.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 buns 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Sourdough
- 2 cups sourdough starter (see notes)
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter (or oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- a pinch salt
- Combine all the dough ingredients in a large bowl and mix until the dough starts to form. You may need to adjust the level of flour based on the consistency of your sourdough starter. You want a soft dough.
- Knead as required to bring the dough together. However, don’t over knead. The goal is to bring the bread together, without making a strong gluten structure.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it is 1 cm thick. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out as many circles as you can. The scraps of dough can be quickly kneaded together and hand formed into 1 or 2 more circles.
- Lay the biscuits out on a greased baking sheet and leave them in a warm place to rise for at least 1 hour. They only need to double in size, as they will continue to puff up when baking.
- Beat together the ingredients of the egg wash, then brush the tops of the biscuits with the egg wash.
- Bake at 375 F for 20 min or until brown.
- You will need a healthy sourdough starter to make these quick biscuits.
- The egg wash is perfect for sticking toppings to your buns. Feel free to sprinkle on sesame seeds, poppy seeds or grated Asiago cheese.
Keywords: leftover starter, excess starter, quick, easy, vegan, egg free, dairy free, 10 ingredients or less, spring, summer, holidays