I admit that I score pretty high on the list of crunchy. I bike everywhere, grow my own food and run a fermentation website. However, the idea of turning kombucha SCOBYs into food was beyond me. So the credit for this recipe goes out to my friend Mark.
Mark brought me a large jar of jerky… and it was… amazingly tasty! Even our kids, who were toddlers at the time, couldn’t get enough of it! So I decided to serve Kombucha SCOBY jerky to my not-so-crunchy book club, and everyone wondered what type of meat it was. They all assumed that the kombucha part of the jerky was in the sauce!
That makes this recipe a real winner!
Officially kombucha SCOBYs are mostly cellulose, so the jerky is basically flavour, probiotics and fiber. However, it’s a delicious way to use up extra SCOBYs!Print
Kombucha Scoby Jerky
Kombucha SCOBY jerky is a flavourful snack that is made with extra SCOBYs. It is full of probiotics and fiber.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Dehydrated
- 5–6 thin kombucha SCOBYs (see notes for more info)
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp diced garlic
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 7 Tbsp honey
- Cut the SCOBYs into strips.
- Grease your dehydrator trays and lay out the strips of kombucha SCOBYs.
- Dehydrate until most of the moisture is gone (about 4 hours at 105 F).
- Mix up the remaining ingredients into a marinade, and soak your SCOBYs for 24 hours.
- Grease your dehydrator trays again.
- Fully dehydrate the SCOBYs at 105F for 8 hours.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight jar and consume within 1 month.
- The easiest way to get thin SCOBYs for this recipe is frequently harvest a thin SCOBY off the top of your kombucha. Alternatively you could try separating a thick SCOBY into layers, however, that is fairly difficult.
- If you aren’t a SCOBY growing person, you could simply sub-in thinly sliced firm tofu for delicious tofu jerky.
- If you don’t happen to have a dehydrator, you could use your oven set on the lowest temperature and leave the door propped open with a wooden spoon.
Keywords: probiotic, SCOBY, reuse, free, vegetarian, gluten free, summer, fall, spring