Fermented vegan waffles are delicious and nutritious. Best of all this recipe will work for everyone! It can be made gluten free, sugar-free, soy-free, whatever you want. Perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert!Print
Fermented vegan waffles are delicious and nutritious; perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert! They are made with fermented vegan dairy alternative and apple sauce, and can be gluten free and sugar free.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups almond milk (see notes)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- Combine flour and vegan dairy. If you are pre-fermenting the waffles allow the batter to soak at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients just before cooking
- Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. These may take 1 minute longer per side because of the apple sauce.
- To preferment the batter you will need to use fermented a vegan dairy alternative. Try amazake, soy milk yogurt, cultured coconut milk or nut milk yogurt. Alternatively, you could use any vegan dairy, juice or even water for the liquid in this recipe.
- I recommend using wholegrain flour, even wholegrain gluten free. For light and fluffy gluten free waffles use a mix of flours and starches. Using white flour (wheat) for prefermenting will result in too much gluten development, so don’t preferment if you are using white or all-purpose flour.
- I own this waffle maker and love it!
Keywords: healthy, wholegrain, gluten free, sugar free, dessert
I love adding additional flavours to my waffle batter. And since this recipe can be made with a number of different types of milk, there are endless flavour possibilities. Here’s a few ideas to get you started:
- Savoury soy milk waffle with 2 tbsp of fresh herbs and 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- Chocolate nut milk waffle with 1/4 cup mini vegan chocolate chips and topped with slices of banana.
- Coconut milk with lemon and orange zest.
- Amazake with 1/2 tsp of ginger in addition to the cinnamon.