Fermented guacamole is so quick and easy to make. The fermentation in this recipe is optional, but I recommend trying it at least once because it’s such a simple and delicious way to get a dose of probiotics.
Why Ferment Guacamole?
- Fermented guacamole doesn’t go brown. As you can see from the photos, fermented guacamole remains bright green even after sitting out at room temperature for 3 days!
- It’s perfect for taco parties, barbecues and school snacks because it will last longer out of the fridge.
- Probiotic dips are a great way to get more gut-friendly bacteria into your diet.
- The flavour of fermented guacamole is delicious: creamy, tangy and perfect.
Fermented guacamole is a delicious and probiotic version of this popular chip dip. Fermenting also prevents the guacamole from turning brown, making it perfect for picnics, barbecues and school snacks.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp non-iodized salt
- 1 tbsp of culture (see notes)
- Mash the avocados with a fork.
- Combine the mashed avocados with all of the remaining ingredients. The guacamole can be served fresh at this point.
- To ferment the guacamole, pack it in a glass container. Leave it in a cool, dark location for up to 3 days.
- After 3 days it will be bubbly and tangy. Store it in the fridge for an additional day before serving to curb the fermentation process and mellow out the flavour.
- I usually use milk kefir whey as my starter. However, you could use any probiotic, fermented liquid like sauerkraut juice or kombucha. I also recommend using a purchased starter (affiliate link.) You can even ferment without a starter… but it’s a bit risky, as it relies on free range lactic bacteria.
- You can ferment this a mason jar with a dish towel on top. However, if you want to fermented it for more than a few days, I recommend using a fido or a mason jar with an airlock to prevent contamination.
- For the best flavour, eat within one week after the fermentation has finished.
Keywords: dip, taco, nachos, burritos, probiotic, gluten free, vegan, keto, paleo, whole 30, summer, spring