This guacamole recipe is so quick and easy. The fermentation it is optional, but I recommend trying it at least once because it’s such a delicious and easy way to get your probiotics.
Why Ferment Guacamole?
- Fermented guacamole doesn’t go brown. As you can see from the photos, fermented guacamole remains bright green after sitting out at room temperature for 3 days.
- It’s perfect for taco parties, barbecues or school snacks, because it will last longer out of the fridge.
- It’s a great way to get more probiotics into your diet.
- The flavour of fermented guacamole is delicious. Creamy. Tangy. Perfect.
Fermented guacamole is a delicious, nutritious and probiotic version of this popular chip dip. Fermenting is also the best way to prevent your guacamole from turning brown!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Fermented
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 clove of garlic diced
- 1/2 tsp non-iodized salt
- 1 tbsp of culture (see notes)
- Mash your avocados and combine with the remaining ingredients. The guacamole can be eaten at this point. If you want to ferment your guacamole follow the next two steps,
- Place the guacamole in a sterile container for fermenting, and leave in a cool location for up to 3 days.
- It will become bubbly and tangy overtime. Store it in the fridge for an additional day before serving to curb the fermentation process and mellow out the flavour.
- I usually use milk kefir whey as my starter, but you could also use sauerkraut juice, kombucha or a purchased starter. You can even ferment without a starter… but it’s always a bit risky, as it relies on free range lactic bacteria.
- You can ferment this a mason jar with a dish towel on top. However, if you want to store it for more than a few days, I recommend using a fido or a mason jar with an airlock to prevent contamination.
- For the best flavour, eat within a week of fermentation.
Keywords: dip, taco, nachos, probiotic, gluten free, vegan, keto, paleo