It is the cold and flu season… and a ton of viruses have been making the rounds, visiting my house in turns. If it’s not a cough, it’s a fever or a stomach ache. I decided that I definitely needed to make a immune boosting ferment to help us get ourselves through the onslaught of illnesses.
I’ve made an immune boosting kvass, but I wanted to make something more concentrated. This definitely fit the bill! It is a strong, flavourful ferment that is sure to put you back on your feet.Print
This is a strong, flavourful ferment that is sure to fight off any cold or flu. It’s packed with citrus, ginger, turmeric, honey and probiotics.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Fermented
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 3 inches of ginger
- 3 inches of turmeric (or 2 tbsp ground turmeric)
- 1/2 cup honey (unpasturized)
- 1/4 cup starter (optional, see notes)
- 3 cups filtered water
- Sterilize a glass quart-sized jar.
- Slice the lemon and lime and squeeze them into the jar, then add them into the jar.
- Wash and finely dice turmeric and ginger. (You only need to peel if they aren’t organic.) Add to the jar along with the honey, starter and water. Leave 1″ of head room for the bubbling.
- Cover, and place somewhere warm to ferment for 3 to 5 days.
- It will be sparkling and strongly flavoured. Store in the refrigerator.
- Unpasturized honey should be able to do the work of fermenting. However, you can add a culture to speed things along. Kombucha, ginger bug, water kefir or whey would all work well.
- Make sure your jar can handle the carbonation. Use a fido, or a mason jar with an airlock or plastic lid. Then transfer to a plastic pop bottle or a flip top beer bottle for storage in the fridge
Keywords: immune boosting, healthy, probiotic, superfood