Immune boosting kvass is a savoury and flavourful drink that will make you feel super like you’re transforming into a superhero. It’s full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.And while kvass won’t help you fly or leap over tall buildings… it will give your immune system a huge boost. It is also a great, sugar-free alternative to a sports drink.Print
Immune Boosting Kvass
Immune boosting kvass is a savoury beverage full of vitamins, minerals, probiotics and antioxidants. It’s perfect for fighting off a cold or flu. It also is a good, sugar-free alternative to a sports drink.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Fermented
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- 2 small beets washed and diced into cubes
- 1 inch of ginger washed and sliced in half
- 1 inch of turmeric washed and sliced in half
- ¼ cup of starter culture (see notes)
- ½ tbsp salt (non-iodized)
- 3 cups filtered water to cover (chlorine free)
- Prepare the beets, ginger and turmeric. Don’t peel the skin off, as it will help with the fermentation.
- Dissolve the salt in ½ cup of water in a 1 quart jar.
- Add in the starter culture along with the beets, ginger and turmeric.
- Squeeze lemon wedges into the jar, then add them to the jar as well.
- Add enough water to fill the jar, leaving 1 inch of headroom at the top.
- Use a weight to keep the beets submerged.
- Top with a lid, and leave the jar to ferment somewhere dark for 3-7 days.
- Store in the fridge and consume within 1 month.
- I usually use the ginger bug as my starter for this ferment, but you could use kombucha, whey or a purchased starter.
- If you can’t find fresh turmeric, just add a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- The kvass is quite salty, so dilute with water (50/50).
- If you want to turn the kvass into an AMAZING sports drink, dilute it 50/50 with juice and add 1/8 tsp powdered calcium magnesium.
Keywords: healthy, probiotic, keto, paleo, whole 30, winter, fall, spring, flu, cold, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free