Immune boosting kvass is a savoury and flavourful concoction that will make you feel super like you’re transforming into a superhero. It’s full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.And while kvass won’t help you fly or leap over tall buildings… it will give your immune system a huge boost. Toss in a few a few high-in-zinc pumpkin seeds and you’re ready for the cold and flu season!Print
Immune Boosting Kvass
This recipe is for a drink that will make you feel amazing with the added vitamins, minerals, probiotics and antioxidants. It’s perfect for fighting a cold or as a sports drink.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Beverage
- 2 small beets washed and diced into cubes
- 1 inch of ginger washed and sliced in half
- 1 inch of turmeric washed and sliced in half
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- ¼ cup of starter culture (see notes)
- ½ tbsp salt (non-iodized)
- 3 cups filtered water to cover (chlorine free)
- Sterilize a quart-sized jar, and fill it with the beet cubes, ginger and turmeric. Squeeze lemon wedges into the jar and then add them as well.
- Dissolve the salt in ½ cup of water, pour over the beets with the starter, and add more water to cover.
- Use a weight to keep the beets submerged, top with a lid, and allow to ferment somewhere cool for 3-7 days.
- Store in the fridge and consume within 1 month.
- I use the ginger bug as my starter, but you could also use kombucha, whey or a purchased starter.
- If you can’t find fresh turmeric, just add a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- The kvass is quite salty, so dilute with water (50/50). Or dilute with juice and add 1/8 tsp powdered calcium magnesium for a sports drink alternative.
Keywords: healthy, probiotic, keto, paleo, whole 30, winter, fall, spring, flu, cold